Twitter explosion - 3k per sec!?

I was going to tweet this to my friends but none are in IT and probably would understand.  But did you see how there were over 3,000 tweets per second during the Celtics vs Laker's Game 7.  Then today during the USA vs Algeria World Cup 2010 game there were almost 12 million visitors on the internet.  I'm sure some of this was on twitter which explains why it was down a little today. If you check out twitter's status, they've been having issues for about a week now.  Coincidence? I don't think so.  

Sports is a global interest, especially soccer (ok football), and it is driving internet traffic through the roof.  I wonder how much capacity review and planning the social networking sites and even sports sites like espn.com did in prep for the world cup. It made me think that in general we need to be more aware of user behavior and large events.  Are you in tune with those at your IT shop?

0 comments:

Post a Comment